I was talking in the Cafe, and we started discussing the use of leashes in Austin. Everyone seemed to agree that would be a good thing, although the actual instances of leashing are pretty rare, which is disappointing.
I have always been in favor of leashing your sub. I used to even leash Linda during gallery discussions and pull her along like my little pet, and I almost always leash her when she dances at the Cafe (just in case some other Dom has a sexy accent and she "inadvertently" drops onto his lap *smh*)
I have always believed that the leash is one of the deepest symbols in a D/s relationship:
(1) It is the physical manifestation of a bond that is deeper than friendship and darker than love.
(2) It is a reminder that you claim her, and that she is yours to do with as you please.
(3) It is the road between two roles: The one who follows at one end, and the one who leads and guides her through less traveled and darker paths at the other end.
(4) It is the yoke around her neck that reminds her of her place; the symbol of her submission.
(5) It says "I am Yours" at one end, and "Mine" at the other.
I found two vids I took of us in the Cafe with Linda leashed, and I decided to share it here in the interest of promoting more leashing in public.